What are affirmations?
To put it simply, affirmations are positive statements that can help you challenge and overcome negative or unhelpful thoughts that may be holding you back. Repeating these phrases to yourself during the day to make it a regular practice can create long-term changes in the way you think and prioritise positivity over negativity.
Some may think affirmations are unrealistic or wishful thinking. But, as many of us practise repetitive exercises to help improve our physical health, affirmations work in the same way for our mental health. Just spending a few minutes thinking about your best qualities, worthiness and abilities can help boost your confidence and allow you to mellow.
Do self-love affirmations work?
Self-love affirmations work incredibly well as a tool for changing your mindset. They can help strengthen your self-worth, increase your confidence and positive opinion of yourself, help you unwind and make you feel more content. However, they are not a guaranteed step to instant success. The affirmations themselves won’t make the change but rather act as a starting point for you to develop yourself.
To get the most out of your self-love affirmations, you’ll need to make it a regular habit. Here are some useful tips on how to create effective positive affirmations and keep them going:
- Begin your statements with the words ‘I am’ as they can be very powerful and direct.
- Use the present tense rather than thinking about your past or future.
- Don’t overcomplicate the statements, keep them simple and specific.
- Make sure your affirmations are about you and no one else.
- Try saying your affirmations for 3-5 minutes twice every day. First thing in the morning and before getting into bed at night are the best times to start.
- Repeat your affirmations 10 times and believe them to be true.
- Either record yourself to listen back during the day or ask a trusted loved one to say them to you, as this may help reinforce your belief in them.
- Make sure your affirmation routine is consistent, and try not to skip any days.
- It can take time before you notice any changes or feel the effect of the affirmations, so be patient and don’t give up.
30 positive affirmations for self-love
If you need some extra inspiration for your self-love affirmations, here are some of our favourites:
- I am enough
- I am worthy of love.
- I deserve to be happy.
- I believe in myself.
- I am beautifully unique.
- I love who I am.
- I am not afraid of my feelings.
- I am right where I need to be.
- I am capable of achieving my goals.
- I love my body and all that it does for me.
- I am strong and healthy.
- I am whole.
- I am constantly growing, evolving and becoming my best self.
- I am at peace with where I am.
- I am creating my own love.
- I am doing the best that I can.
- I am loved.
- I am worthy of celebrating myself.
- I am kind to myself
- I deserve happiness.
- I let go of negative self-talk.
- I accept myself unconditionally.
- I do not let fears hold me back.
- I am grateful for all that I have.
- I am successful.
- I am valued.
- I choose to stop apologising for being me.
- I love my own company.
- I have so much to celebrate in life.
- I am proud of myself.
Getting a good night’s sleep can also help your mental mindset, discover 6 of the best natural sleep remedies.
Also, take a look at our full-bodied and bittersweet Social Elixir, which enhances connection, sets the mood and keeps you feeling blissful and tuned-in.